Guru Purnima 2023: Guru Purnima is celebrated all over the world to honour the teacher or gurus in our lives. Guru Purnima falls on the full moon day in the month of Ashada. The festival will be celebrated on July 3, 2023. Guru Purnima is celebrated to seek blessings from Ved Vyasa, who is known as the “Maha Guru”. His beliefs are believed to conquer darkness through knowledge.
On the day of Guru Purnima, mantras are chanted to venerate the Maha Guru and seek his blessings. Devotese pay devotion to Maha Guru by chanting hymns and bhajans, and the Guru Gita is chanted throughout the day. Devotees are required to provide flowers and gifts as prasad. The details mentioned below contain all the important details regarding Guru Purnima 2023.
Guru Purnima 2023 Date & Timings
Guru Purnima 2023 will be held on July 3, 2023, which will be a Monday. According to the Drik Panchang, the Purnima Tithi will begin on July 2, 2023, at 8:20 p.m. and end at 5:20 p.m. on July 3. The table mentioned below contains the dates and timings for Guru Purnima 2023.
|Sunrise||03 July, 2023 05:49 AM.|
|Sunset||03 July, 2023 07:12 PM.|
|Purnima Tithi Begins||02 July, 2023 08:21 PM.|
|Purnima Tithi Ends||03 July, 2023 05:08 PM.|
Also read Ashadhi Ekadashi 2023 Date
Why is Guru Purnima Celebrated?
Guru Purnima is observed to honour all instructors and gurus around the world and to convey our thanks to them. Guru Purnima commemorates the moment when Shiva or Adi Yogi transmitted the knowledge of Yogic sciences to his devotees. Saptarishis, or the seven sages, were Lord Shiva’s first students who obtained knowledge. On this auspicious day, here is the account of Adi Guru becoming the first Guru. The seven sages, or saptarishis, were the ones who passed on the guru’s knowledge to the rest of the world. Even in today’s world, many spiritual activities are carried out with Adi Yogi’s teachings in mind.
How are the Guru Purnima 2023 Rituals Conducted?
There are a set of rituals to be followed on the day of Guru Purnima. A detailed list of all the important rituals to be conducted on Guru Purnima is mentioned below.
- Devotees are required to wake up early, take a bath, and conduct all the important rituals throughout the day.
- They are required to offer flowers and garlands of good fortune to Vyasa ji and then their own Guru.
- If you have a guru of your own, then make them sit on a chair or somewhere and offer garlands.
- Next, offer some clothes, fruits, flowers, garlands, and Dakshina in the form of some money and seek blessings from your guru or mentor.
Are Guru Purnima & Buddha Purnima the Same?
No, Guru Purnima is not the same as Buddha Purnima. Guru Purnima is observed to commemorate the birth of Ved Vyas, the author of the numerous Vedas, as well as the transfer of knowledge by Lord Shiva to his saptarishis. On the calendar, Budh Purnima commemorates Lord Budha’s first sermon delivered on this day at Sarnath, and Budh Urnima commemorates his birth and enlightenment. As a result, Budh Purnima and Guru Purnima are not synonymous.
How Can we Celebrate Guru Purnima in Schools?
Guru Purnima can be celebrated by schools in multiple ways. They can conduct assemblies and programmes in order to make the students understand the importance of Guru Purnima and the role of their teachers in their lives and overall development.
The students can create skits and oracles and educate people on the importance of Buddha Purnima and Guru Purnima. The schools can ask students to give inspirational speeches regarding Guru Purnima and elaborate on the history and significance of the day. This will help students realise the importance and role of their guru.
Importance of Guru Purnima 2023
Guru Purnima allows one to reflect on the life contributions of one’s gurus. They would be unable to do much in life without their knowledge and experience. The blessings conferred upon them by the gurus result in the eradication of darkness from a person’s life. The significance of Guru Purnima is discussed further below.
- Guru Purnima in Hinduism commemorated the birth of Ved Vyasa, who edited the evdas and divided them into four parts. He also penned the Puranas, which are regarded as the fifth vedas.
- The day represents that devotees are fortunate when they worship Guru Ved Vyasa, and all kinds of grief and suffering are lifted.
- Guru Purnima is also a day when the entire cosmos emits phenomenal positive energies that help accelerate the progress of a spiritual process.
- This festival is also for those who want to make significant progress mentally and spiritually.
- A guru is a spiritual being who enlightens his disciples and helps them attain the highest spiritual enlightenment.
- This day is also extremely special for learning mantras from Gurus.
- Guru Purnima is considered to be extremely special to the Gurus on this day.
FAQs Related to Guru Purnima 2023
When will Guru Purnima 2023 be held?
Guru Purnima 2023 will be held on July 3, 2023.
Is Guru Purnima 2023 observed on a full moon day?
Yes, Guru Punima is observed on a full moon day every year.