How to Join Merchant Navy after 12th: The Merchant Navy is an important part of the worldwide trade business since it bears the load of freight and transportation. This industry has potential career possibilities, increased income, and facilities for employees.
If a person enjoys sailing, visiting the world, learning about the Merchant Navy and how trade is carried out via maritime channels, and is knowledgeable about ships and decks, they should consider joining the Merchant Navy. In this post, we will discuss how to join the Merchant Navy, the eligibility requirements, and a variety of other topics.
How to Join Merchant Navy after 12th Class?
Candidates are required to follow a step-by-step procedure to join the Merchant Navy. They must complete their 12th grade from PCM and pass the class with the required marks. They must enroll in the respective Merchant Navy Courses required by the Navy. Given below is a step-by-step procedure on how to join the Merchant Navy after 12th.
Step 1- Choose a Suitable Job Profile
Candidates are required to choose a suitable job profile. There are two main roles: the first one is a deck cadet, and the second one is an engineer. The job for joining the Merchant Navy as a cadet will involve deck work, ship maintenance, berthing options, shipwork paperwork, and handling safety equipment. The job role of an engineer is to ensure that the machinery and all the tools are working properly on the ship. They handle the electrical and mechanical management of the vessel and will be responsible for maintenance in various other aspects.
Step 2- Eligibility Criteria
There are certain requirements that a candidate must meet to be able to join the Merchant Navy. They must have Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as their subjects in 12th class, etc. A few important details regarding the eligibility criteria when it comes to joining the Merchant Navy are mentioned below.
- Candidates must score 60% in class 12 in all three subjects (physics, chemistry, and mathematics) from a recognised board.
- They must also score 50% in the English language on their 12th grade boards.
- They must pass all the English tests required for the Merchant Navy examination.
- The minimum age limit for joining the Merchant Navy is 17, and the maximum age limit for joining the Merchant Navy is 25.
- At the time of filling out the application for merchant navy certificates, they must not be older than 22 years of age.
- Candidates must be unaffected, and this is applicable to both males and females.
- Candidates are required to go through all the physical and medical examinations and complete them successfully.
Step 3- Educational Qualifications Required for Merchant Navy
Candidates are required to refer to the various courses and diplomas that are made available to them so as to be able to choose the correct courses to join the Merchant Navy. A list of options comprising of the courses for joining the Merchant Navy is mentioned below.
- Candidates must score 60% in class 12 in all three subjects (physics, chemistry, and mathematics) from a recognized board.
- They must also score 50% in the English language on their 12th-class boards.
- Those who wish to apply for the role of Deck Cadet are required to have completed their graduation in Bsc Marine and Bsc Nautical Science from a recognized university or institution.
- Candidates will also have the option to go for a diploma in nautical science and then go for a BSc in nautical science.
- Candidates who wish to become an engineer are required to complete their bachelor’s in any field such as marine engineering, mechanical engineering, civil engineering, petroleum engineering, naval architecture and offshore engineering, harbor and ocean engineering and electrical and electronics engineering.
- Apart from the deck cadet and engineer roles, those who wish to join the merchant navy must have completed their 10th and 12th grades from a recognized board or institution.
- They are also required to have completed their six-month GP rating course.
- Candidates must note that they must undergo the training for the required period.
Step 4- Appearing for Entrance Exams
Candidates who wish to join these courses are required to sit for entrance examinations conducted by various universities for the admissions process. If a candidate has cleared the examination, he will be eligible for admission into the required course. The details regarding the competitive exams for the Merchant Navy are mentioned below.
- JEE Mains & Advanced
- Merchant Navy Entrance Test
- Indian Maritime Common University Entrance Test (IMUCET)
- All India Merchant Navy Entrance Test (AIMNET)
- TMI SAT
Step 5- Fulfilling Physical Fitness Requirements
Candidates are also required to fulfill the physical fitness requirements. They are required to take the tests to be eligible for the Merchant Navy. A list comprising all the physical requirements is mentioned below.
|Physical Constitution||The candidate should not have a weak constitution.Their weight should not be more than 42 kg.The maximum prescribed height is 150 cm.|
|Skeletal System||There should be no issues with the candiates, bones or joints.Candidates will be disqualified if there are issues such as deformity from fractures, depression of the skull, fractures healed with pins inside.|
|Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT)||No impairment in hearing.No disease of the throat, palate, tonsils, gums, or any disease affecting the normal functioning of an individual|
|Eyesight||Candidates must not have any morbid eye conditions.For the deck department, the vision should be 6/6 in the better eye and 6/9 in the other one.Engine and Electrical Department: Vision should be 6/12 in each eye, 6/9 in the other eye, and 6/18 in the other eye.Colour blindness will lead to immediate disqualification..|
Step 6- Completion of Training
After completing their educational qualifications and going through all the medical and physical tests and dates required to go through the training period, they will be considered suitable for job prospects. The training period lasts from six months to a year. After the training period has been completed, candidates who wish to work for the desk cadet position require a minimum of 18 months on the ship in the form of training. Engineers will have to train on the ship for six months. Upon completion of their training, candidates will be eligible for competency exams.
Step 7- Appearing for Competency Exams
After completing their training, candidates can apply for the competency exams of the government of India. After clearing the examination, they will be appointed as third officers. On the contrary, engineers are required to pass the competitive exam conducted by the Directorate General of Shipping. After clearing the exam, they can join as a fourth engineer on the ship. Candidates will also be provided with the option to qualify for other roles and secure higher positions in the Merchant Navy.
Top Merchant Navy Colleges in India
Candidates must note that there are several prestigious institutions in India that offer some of the top-notch courses for the merchant navy. Those who are interested in learning about the Merchant Navy colleges can refer to the table mentioned below.
|Name of Colleges||Location|
|Indian Maritime University||Kochi|
|Indian Maritime University||Mumbai|
|Tolani Maritime Institute||Pune|
|Applied Research International||Delhi|
|International Maritime Institute||Greater Noida|
|Samundra Institute Maritime Studies||Mumbai|
|The Great Eastern Institute of Maritime Studies||Mumbai|
|CV Raman College of Engineering||Bhubaneshwar|
|Cochin Shipyard Limited||Kochi|
|Oceanic Maritime Institute||Dehradun|
Salary Package of Merchant Navy for Deck Cadet & Engineers
Candidates who have completed their educational qualifications, training, and other aspects are given the opportunity to work with different companies. The table mentioned below corresponds to the Merchant Navy salary package for various posts.
Salary Package for Deck Cadet
|Designation||Salary Package (Average)|
|Chief Officer||Rs 30 Lakhs per annum|
|Master in Merchant Navy||Rs 25 Lakhs per annum|
|2nd Officer||Rs 12.0 Lakhs per annum|
|3rd Officer||Rs 8.4 Lakhs per annum|
|Deck Cadet||Rs 2.2 Lakhs per annum|
Source- Ambition Box
Salary of an Engineer
|Designation||Salary Package (Average)|
|Chief Engineer||Rs 35 Lakhs per annum|
|2nd Engineer||Rs 24 Lakhs per annum|
|Electrical Officer||Rs 11 Lakhs per annum|
|Third Engineer||Rs 10.3 Lakhs per annum|
|Fourth Engineer||Rs 8 Lakhs per annum|
Skills Required for Merchant Navy
There are a set of skills that a candidate must possess to become a part of the Merchant Navy. The list of skills is mentioned below.
- Leadership Skills
- Communication Skills
- Critical Thinking
- Self Control
- People Management Skills
- Mathematical Ability
FAQs Related to How to Join Merchant Navy
Is there any entrance requirement to join the Merchant Navy?
There are a few Merchant Navy entrance exams that are conducted every year to provide admissions into various colleges, such as JEE Advanced, IMU CET, and TMI-BITS-EE.
What is the age limit for joining the Merchant Navy?
The minimum age limit for joining the Merchant Navy is 17; the maximum age is 25.