The JEE Main reservation criteria policy has been made available by the National Testing Agency (NTA). On the JEE Main official website, candidates who fall under the EWS, SC, ST, OBC-NCL, and PwD categories can view the JEE Main 2024 reservation requirements.
After the announcement of the JEE Main 2024 results, admission to engineering colleges will start, with eligibility determined by the NTA and JAB-established JEE Main reservation criteria.
Candidates taking the exam must be aware of the JEE Main reservation requirements in order to be eligible for reduced JEE Main registration fees, category-specific cutoff scores, and reduced admission costs.
They need to comprehend the percentage of reservations based on their categories. Learn more about the JEE Main reservation policy quotas for various categories, including women’s reservation criteria, by reading on.
JEE Main Reservation Criteria 2024: Category-wise Percentage
The reservation criteria adhere to the guidelines established by the Indian government for seat distribution. The JEE Main reservation policies for each state’s engineering institutes shall be followed.
Candidates whose names appear on the central list released by the Government of India would be subject to reservation criteria for admission to NITs, IIITs, and GFITs.
|General Economically Weaker Sections (GEN-EWS)
|Scheduled Castes (SC)
|Scheduled Tribes (ST)
|Non-Creamy Layer of Other Backward Classes (OBC-NCL)
|Persons with Disabilities
|5% in each category
JEE Main 2024 Reservation Criteria for OBC Category
The National Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC) website contains a central list of other backward classes. This Central list is followed under JEE Main 2024 reservation criteria. Candidates who come under this central list will choose the OBC reserved category option when filling out the JEE Main 2024 registration form. Candidates must select the General category if they are on the OBC list according to their state’s list.
Persons With Disability (PwD) Under JEE Main 2024 Reservation Criteria
Candidates may apply for the JEE Main reservation criterion 2024, if they meet the specific requirement of a impairment of more than 40%, as confirmed by the appropriate authority.
Candidates who have one of the following conditions may be regarded to fall within the PwD category:
- Blindness and low vision
- Deaf and hard of hearing
- Locomotor disability including cerebral palsy, leprosy cured, dwarfism, acid attack victims and muscular dystrophy
- Autism, intellectual disability, specific learning disability and mental illness,
- Multiple disabilities
- Other specified disabilities
JEE Main Reservation Criteria 2024 – Specified Disability Categories
Type of Disability
Locomotor Disa bility*
a. Leprosy cured person,
b. cerebral palsy,
d. muscular dystrophy,
e. acid attack victims.
b. low vision
b. hard of hearing
Speech & Language Disability
Permanent disability arising out of conditions such as laryngectomy or aphasia affecting one or more components of speech and language due to organic or neurological causes.
a. specific learning disability (perceptual disabilities,dyslexia, dyscalculia, dyspraxia & development aphasia)
b. autism spectrum disorder
a. mental illness
Disability caused due to
i. Chronic Neurological Conditions
a. multiple sclerosis
ii. Blood disorder
c. sickle cell disease
More than one of the above specified disabilities including deaf blindness
Process to claim Reservation in JEE Main 2024
candidates have to follow certain formalities to claim the benefits provided for candidates under reserved categories. Steps to claim JEE Main reservation 2024 are given below:
- Candidates have to fill their category in the JEE 2024 application form. They should not provide the category proof at this stage. If a student do not select the correct reserved category in registration, the authorities do not accept further claims.
- While JEE Main counselling, candidates will have to produce their certificate of a category, like caste certificate, PwD certificate.
- The authority will take a candidate under unreserved or general category, if he/she is unable to show the proof of having a claim under JEE Main reservation criteria.
Documents Required to claim JEE Main 2024 reservation
- Category certificate issued in the prescribed format by the competent authority
- Caste or Tribe certificates in case of SC/ ST
- Disability certificate issued by the competent authority in case of Persons with disability
JEE Main Reservation Criteria 2024 for NITs
The National Institutes of Technology (NITs) admit students to 50% of their seats under the home state quota system and 50% under the other state quota system.
Note: The following NITs will be taken into account as the state quota for States and Union Territories without NIT.
|Andaman & Nicobar Islands
|Daman and Diu
|Dadar and Nagar Haveli
For NIT Goa and NIT Warangal, the reservation criteria are as under:
JEE Main reservation criteria for NIT Warangal and Goa
Name of the NIT
Home State Quota
Candidates belonging to Telangana claim reservation under this quota
Other States Quota
Candidates belonging to other states and those belonging to Andhra Pradesh, both can apply for admission under this quota
Andhra Pradesh Quota
Candidates belonging to the state of Andhra Pradesh can apply for admissions under this quota.
Home State Quota
Candidates belonging to Goa have 40% reservation of seats. In case of further vacancy of seats, 10% seats are filled by candidates from Daman & Diu, Dadar & Nagar Haveli and Lakshadweep
Other States Quota
Candidates of Goa, Daman & Diu, Dadar & Nagar Haveli and Lakshadweep can apply for admission
JEE Main Reservation Criteria in Institutions of National Importance
After passing the JEE Main exams, individuals can apply for admission to a number of nationally recognised universities. The following organisations have their own requirements for JEE Main 2024 reservation criteria :
- Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) – The Indian Central Government oversees the group of Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs). Colleges adhere to the All India Quota while deciding which applicants to accept into undergraduate engineering programmes (AIQ).
- National Institutes of Technology (NITs) – According to state quotas and other state quotas, the National Institutes of Technology (NITs) admit candidates to their undergraduate engineering programmes.
- Centrally Funded Technical Institutes (CFTIs) – Undergraduate engineering admissions at CFTIs are based on the All India Quota. Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi, and IIEST Shibpur are a few outliers, where home state quota and other state quotas apply. Another example is the Assam University in Silchar, where candidates from Assam are given preference over those from other states on an all-India basis while those from other states are subject to the home state quota.
- Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) – All India quotas, home state quotas, and other state quotas are used to determine who gets admission to IIITs’ UG programmes.
JEE Main Reservation 2024 Region-wise
Home State Quota: Only students from the specific state who have passed their Class 12 or equivalent test are subject to JEE Main’s reservation policy.
Other State Quota: Apart from the home state, this reservation scheme is applicable to JEE Main applicants from other states and union territories.
Candidates can simply comprehend how many seats are reserved under each quota by looking at the information below.
- Home Quota: 50%
- State Quota: 50%
FAQs on JEE Main Reservation Criteria 2024
Does a candidate require a category certificate for JEE Mains 2024?
Yes, candidates applying for JEE Main 2024 are required to present a certificate stating their category that was granted by the relevant authorities.
Is 75% criteria necessary for JEE Main reservation 2024 categories as well?
In order to gain admission to NITs, IITs, etc., the JEE Main 75% requirement has not been reduced.
Is there a reservation for women in JEE Main 2024?
In India, the majority of engineering institutes set aside at least 5% of their seats for female applicants. Women who are applying for JEE Main can use the women’s quota scheme in order to benefit from this policy.
Who all can avail of JEE Main reservation benefits?
The JEE Main reservation privileges for 2024 are available to all candidates who fall under the Gen-EWS, SC, ST, OBC-NCL, or PwD categories.
What is the reservation percentage for candidates belonging to the SC category?
SC candidates are eligible for a 15% seat reservation.
What is the ST Quota reservation in JEE Main exams 2024?
Candidates from the ST category are eligible for a 7.5% seat reservation.