How to Join Indian Army After 12th for Female: The Indian Army as a profession is considered one of the most noble professions in the country. There was a time when only men were a part of this field, but now women are also being presented with the opportunity to join the Indian Army and work under some of the different branches of the army.
Women are eligible to work in both combat and non-combat roles. There are multiple branches that women can work in, such as the Army, Navy, and Air Force. There are openings for women in multiple fields, such as networking, law, education, logistics, and many more. The details mentioned are the two categories of positions available, their eligibility, and many other important details.
Also know | How To Join Merchant Navy
How Can Females Join the Indian Army After Class 12th?
Those who wish to join the Indian army must note that there is a minimum qualification that candidates must adhere to secure a job in the Indian army. The job duration guidelines laid down by the Short Service Commission scheme lay down an employment tenure of 14 years for women.
List of Indian Army Exams after Class 12th
The list mentioned below consists of the various routes by which females can join the Indian Army after 12th class.
NDA (National Defense Academy)
- The National Defence Academy is located in Khadakwasla, Pune. It is an academy wherein both males and females can join, and they are eligible to join all three forces. It is the world’s first tri-service academy.
- Candidates ranging in age from 16.5 to 19.5 are eligible for this academy.
- Candidates who wish to apply for the army wing can apply from any stream.
CDS OTA Entry
- The Combined Defence Services Examination (CDS) OTA is one of the most popular exams codified by the UPSC.
- Candidates who qualify for this examination are posted to the IMA, AFA, INA, and OTA. Both males and females can apply for this examination.
- Female candidates who qualify for the Thai examination are recommissioned for a period of 14 years.
- The age limit for applying for CDS OTA is 25 years.
- Female candidates who wish to appear for the Thai examination must have a relevant graduation degree.
- Those who are in the last semester or year of their graduation are also eligible to apply.
MNS (Military Nursing Service)
- This service needs female candidates to take the NEET UG exam in order to be admitted to the first five years of BSc Nursing programmes beginning in 2023 at nursing and medical service institutes.
- Candidates will be admitted to the following college based on merit. The final merit will incorporate the NEET UG score, computer-based examinations, emotional intelligence tests, general English, psychological assessment, and an interview.
- Finally, they will be subject to vacancies as well as medical fitness.
- The territorial army examination will be open to both males and females. The applications will open in July 2023.
- The eligibility criteria involves candidates who fall within the age limit of 18 to 42 years as of the last day of filling out the application.
- They are also expected to be graduates of an accredited university or institution.
- The most important qualification is that they must be gainfully employed.
SSC Technical Entry
- Those who wish to apply for SSC technical entry must be between the ages of 20 and 27. Both males and females are eligible to apply for this examination.
- Candidates must have a B.E. or B.Tech. in any stream from a recognized university or institution.
- It is mandatory for students to have any one of these degrees. Every department releases its own merit list, and candidates who have already been qualified are shortlisted for SSC.
NCC Special Entry
- The Indian army issues posts through NCC special entry, wherein candidates are elected through the NCC and deserving candidates are admitted through this scheme.
- Female candidates are required to be between the ages of 19 and 25. The selection deadline will be the same.
- Those who hold the fee certificate and are NCC candidates can be selected through SSB.
Army Medical Corps
- The Armed Medical Corps is a recognised medical institution that is acknowledged as a centre of excellence.
- It provides training to undergraduates and postgraduate nursing students. Armed forces Medical College is located in Pune, and both the students were recruited in the medical hospitals in Pune upon completion of this training.
- Both male and female candidates are eligible. Indian army recruits both candidates in AMC and Armed Forces medical college.
- Undergraduate candidates are selected on the basis of their NEET scores, and based on their scores, they are awarded a degree.
Army Dental Corps
- Both male and female candidates are granted short service through this exam. The qualifications require them to be BDS with a minimum of 55% in the final year of tier BDS.
- They can have a MDS from a college or university that must be recognised by the Dental Council of India.
- They are required to have completed one year of rotatory internship, and it is mandatory for them to do so.
- They must be in possession of a permanent registration certificate from the state dental council that must be valid until December 31st, 2023.
- They must not be more than 45 years of age on December 31st, 2023. Only those candidates who have appeared in the national eligibility and entrance test for NEET MDS 2023 will be eligible to apply.
- They are required to submit their scorecard after the results have been declared, along with a copy of their application form
SSCW (Non-Technical) Exam for Indian Army
- Candidates who do not have an engineering background and wish to get into the armed forces will be eligible to sit for the SSCW non-technical examination.
- The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conducts a written examination twice a year, in September and February.
- After clearing out the written examination, candidates are called for an interview, and once they have cleared the interview, they will be appointed as an officer in the Indian army.
- For women to be eligible for this exam, they are required to be from the age of 19 to 25 years of age and unmarried, and they are required to have a degree in any field from a recognized university.
SSCW (NCC) Exam for Indian Army
- The SSC defence examination is one of the most popular examinations that is conducted every year.
- Female candidates who wish to get into the Indian Army are required to join the National Cadet Corps (NCC), which provides basic military training to the younger generation. If a candidate is a member of the NCC, he will not be required to write a written examination as they will be eligible to join the army through their membership.
- Those females who wish to sit for this entrance examination must have been members of the NCC for two years.
- The age limit is from 19 to 5 years of age, and they must be married.
- Candidates must ensure that they score a minimum of 50% in their degree.
Short Service Commission (Judge Advocate General) Exam for Indian Army
- The job position comprises the Judge Advocate General, wherein female students will be eligible to join the military.
- Candidates who have a law degree and who wish to join the military must make note of this examination and grab this opportunity.
- There is no written interview that is conducted, but there is an SSB interview that is conducted every year.
- The intake every year for female candidates is 7.
- The age range comprises 20 years to 27 years.
- Candidates must earn a minimum of 55% during the course of their LLB degree.
SSC Tech (Non- UPSC) Exam for Indian Army
- Candidates who have an engineering degree can enter the armed forces after completion of their degree.
- There’s no written examination that is conducted and a merit list is released on the basis of which the candidates are seected.
- The age requirement comprises of female candidates ranging from the age of 20 to 27 and they must be unmarried.
Indian Army Job Posts for Technical & Non-Technical Branch
The table mentioned above is a list of all the job posts that fall under the technical and non-technical branches of the armed forces.
|Technical Branch Roles||Non-Technical Branch Roles|
|The Indian Railway Traffic Service Group A||Indian Foreign Service|
|Indian Police Service (IPS) Group A||The Indian Administrative Service|
|Railway Protection Force (RPF) Group A||Indian Audit and Accounts Service Group AIndian Postal Service Group A Indian Revenue Service (IT) Group A Indian Revenue Service (Customs & Central Excise) Group A|
|Pondicherry Police Service Group B||Indian Civil Accounts Service Group A |
|Delhi, Andaman and Nicobar Islands Police Service Group B||Indian Railway Account Service Group A|
How to Join Indian Army After 12th for Female – Educational Requirements
There are a set of educational requirements that candidates must adhere to to be able to appear for the exams. A list of all the educational requirements for roles in the Indian army is mentioned below.
- Those female candidates who wish to apply for various positions in the Indian Military must note that it is mandatory for them to have a bachelor’s degree in any field from a recognized institution or university.
- The regular short service commission is for 14 years, and the training period is 49 weeks.
- To achieve the rank of major, you need to complete six years of commissioned service.
- For the promotion to the role of lieutenant colonel after thirteen years of service.
How to Join Indian Army After Class 12 for Girls – CDS Eligibility
Candidates must ensure that they fulfill the educational requirements to be eligible for the CDS exam. UPSC conducts the examination twice a year to recruit males and females for positions during the combined defence services examination.
The candidate must be a citizen of India; a graduation certificate is mandatory; and the applicant must be in the final year of their graduation. The age limit set by the authorities is 19 years, and female candidates can only apply for the officer training academy.
Physical Requirements for Roles in the Indian Army
There are a set of physical requirements that women must adhere to to be eligible for a position in the Indian Army. If the females do not fulfill the minimum physical criteria, they will not be eligible for the role of a female army officer.
- Height and Weight: Candidates who wish to apply for the role of an officer must ensure that the physical criteria are one of the most important criteria. The minimum height and weight requirements for women are 152cm and 49 kg, respectively.
- Mental Stability: The Mental stability of candidates is also an important aspect of the selection process. Candidate must maintain physical as well as mental health stability. Any sort of emotional instability will affect their performance on duty.
- Visual Criteria: The visual criteria comprise some of the most important aspects, such as 6/6 vision for the better eye and 6/18 for the worse eye, and Myopia greater than 5.5 is disregarded. Also, normal color vision and binocular vision are required.
Also know about scholarship:
FAQs Related to How Can Females Join the Indian Army After Class 12th
Can females from a commerce background join the Indian army?
Yes, after completing their 12th commerce, candidates can appear for the NDA exam, and they can join the Indian armed forces as officers in the Indian army or in a position in technical or administrative services.
Which stream is best for joining the Indian armed forces?
The science stream is technically considered to be a better one as it opens more options for candidates in both the technical and non-technical branches.